The following events occurred in the 1870s:
- The Bohemian Grove Illuminati group emerges.
- White prospectors find gold in Wallowa Valley, homeland of the Nez Perce.
- Twin Peaks, Washington community is founded.
- Summer – Chief Joseph goes to place of "Sky People" formerly visited by Meriwether Lewis before retreating to Canada.
- August – General Oliver Howard contacts Colonel Nelson Miles about the Nez Perce's retreat to British Columbia.
- October 5 – 30 miles south of the Canadian border, Chief Joseph surrenders to General Howard.
- For 31 years, Captain Charles Erskine Wood and Chief Joseph plead their case to three different presidents.
- Wayne Chance writes an entry about his finding of the Owl Cave with Denver Bob Hobbes, using a "Yakima map".
- January 14 – Joseph delivers "A Plea for Peace & Equality" to Washington, D.C.